Ferdinand Pajor, Eretria – Nea Psara. A neoclassical town above the ancient polis (in German)
Following its independence in 1828, the Greek government created new towns on the sites of several ancient cities. It thereby openly affirmed an ideological link with Antiquity and gave evidence of its will to modernize the country. On the island of Euboea, the German architect Eduard Schaubert designed in November 1834 a town upon the remains of ancient Eretria, mirroring projects which he had elaborated for Athens and Piraeus.
This book encompasses the rediscovery of the ancient city, the creation of the Neo-classical town and its development during the 19<sup>th</sup> and 20<sup>th</sup> centuries. It presents numerous unpublished documents and establishes a typology of the Neo-classical architecture of Eretria.
2006, 2 vols. in German with summary in English, French and Greek, paperback, 22 x 30 cm, numerous plans and pictures, b/w. Infolio editions, Gollion.